Roundup: Gortat Leaves Polish Camp

01 August 2013

EUROBASKET 2013

Marcin Gortat (Poland)
Marcin Gortat will undergo medical tests and rejoin the Polish national team for their preparation tournament in Belgium

Marcin Gortat has taken permission to leave the training camp of the Polish national team for three weeks but, in principle, his participation at EuroBasket 2013 is not under question.

The Polish center flew to the USA on Thursday to undergo medical tests, after completing the first stage of preparations for the EuroBasket together with the rest of the team, in Gdansk.

"Physically, I feel better and better, the rehabilitation is going well, but I still feel the pain of the foot, even during training," the 29-year-old big man said.

"I have to make sure that I will be healthy for the whole season."

Gortat had suffered an injury in his right foot while playing for the Phoenix Suns in early March and sat out the remainder of the regular season, as his team had already been eliminated from the play-offs.

The 'Polish Machine' also said on Thursday that he expects to re-join the national team between 17 and 19 August, when Poland will be taking part in a warm-up tournament in Belgium.

The rest of his team-mates have received four days off from head coach Dirk Bauermann and will then fly to Italy on Monday to commence the second stage of their preparations.

Poland's medical team are not yet sure whether guard Thomas Kelati will be able to board the plane to Italy, as he picked up an injury during Tuesday's practice and will need to rest for a few days.

Kelati's situation however does not inspire serious concern, as his injury was deemed as minor and he should be back to full fitness soon.

Poland were drawn in First Round Group C at the EuroBasket, together with reigning champions Spain, hosts Slovenia, Georgia, Croatia and the Czech Republic.

 

11. Marko Todorovic (Montenegro)
Marko Todorovic is still recovering from a hand injury, his participation at the EuroBasket being doubtful

Todorovic A Question Mark; Turkey Cut Injured Duo

According to a number of yet unconfirmed reports, which are citing sources close to the Montenegrin national team, big man Marko Todorovic is unable to overcome a hand injury and his participation at EuroBasket 2013 is highly doubtful.

The 21-year-old power forward played through the pain, with his hand wrapped up in a protective casing, during the latter part of the Spanish Liga Endesa season with FC Barcelona.

He underwent surgery in his hand after the end of the play-off finals against Real Madrid, and posted a photo of himself in the hospital on social network Twitter on 20 June, announcing that the operation was successful.

Todorovic joined the Montenegro national team in training camp, but on 30 July he posted another photo of his banged-up hand, with the title 'therapy time'.

Turkey meanwhile already have two confirmed casualties of big men due to injury.

Forward Ilkan Karaman and center Cemal Nalga picked up knocks during the first stage of training camp, in Italy, and head coach Bogdan Tanjevic announced upon the return of the team to Turkey that he has released them from the squad.

The 23-year-old Karaman made his debut with the senior national team in last year's EuroBasket Qualification Round and put in some excellent performance, averaging 10.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

Nalga meanwhile was hoping to make a return to the national team this summer, after having participated in Turkey's Division A campaign ahead of EuroBasket 2009.


RELATED NEWS

Majestic Welcome For French Champions26.09.2013
Cinciarini: Italy Will Be Back Stronger26.09.2013
EuroBasket 2013: A Success26.09.2013
Top 10 Plays26.09.2013
Tournament Wrap26.09.2013
Spanish Empire Prepares To Strike Back 25.09.2013
Hero's Welcome In Vilnius25.09.2013
Serbia, Ivkovic Part Ways 25.09.2013

Advertisement