|23 February 2006|
The Year of Women’s Basketball is a prestigious initiative by FIBA Europe and its member federations to bring focus to women´s basketball in order to improve recognition and respect for the sport in Europe and all female participants in basketball.
The following paragraphs will provide quick general facts about the project.
The Year of Women’s Basketball will be presented during EuroLeague Women All-Star Game and its various activities in Pecs, Hungary. The unveiling of the logo will take place during a lunch at the Hotel Stadion in Budapest on 7 March at 12:00 local time. Ilona Korstin, the face of the Year of Women’s Basketball and a player with the Russian National Team and Samara, will officially unveil the logo. The logo will also be presented at the EuroLeague Women All-Star game on 8 March.
Various promotional media projects will take place during the unveiling of the Year of Women’s Basketball and at the All-Star game.
The Year of Women’s Basketball will culminate at EuroBasket Women 2007 in Italy.
The Year of Women’s Basketball was created to:
- bring focus on the attractiveness of women’s basketball
- increase the popularity and recognition of women’s basketball
- recruit more players in all age categories and encourage increased participation among referees, administrators and coaches, both at national and international level
- raise the profile of players and teams
- enhance the mental and physical health of women
- earn greater respect for women`s basketball.
The Year of Women’s Basketball aims to achieve its goals through:
- high level promotion at FIBA Europe events through advertisements, promotional materials and the Year of Women`s Basketball merchandise
- media campaigns
- working closely together with federations and international (sport) institutions.
For more information, contact:
Esther Wender - Year of Women's Basketball Project Manager
Mobile: (+31) 65 26 14 635
Fax: (+49-89) 78 06 08 509