The supreme authority of FIBA Europe is the General Assembly consisting of all 51 national federation members. The General Assembly meets once a year and in between these sessions all power is delegated to the Board of FIBA Europe, whose members each serve a 4-year term.
The board consists of the following 25 members, elected by the General Assembly:
The President, with an original and a casting vote
The First Vice-President and the Second Vice-President who shall be elected by the Board from amongst the 23 members.
The Secretary General is entitled to attend the meetings of the Board with consultative powers only.
The number of members on the Board having the same nationality and voting rights, excluding the President, is limited to one.
There must be at least two female members with voting rights on the Board of FIBA Europe.
The Board meets at least twice a year and as well as the members the following persons are invited to attend.
- The European Presidents of the World Permanent Commissions who are not members of the Board;
- The Presidents of the European Permanent Commissions, who are not members of the Board;
- A representative of the European Association of Basketball Coaches and the President of the World Association of Basketball Coaches if he is European;
- A representative of the European Zone of the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation and the President of the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation if he is European.
Duties of the Board
The Board of FIBA Europe shall have the power to:
- Elect four members to represent FIBA Europe on the Central Board of FIBA;
- Elect the First Vice-Presidents from amongst the 23 members;
- Control the affairs of FIBA Europe and issue the necessary instructions;
- Assign the organisation of European competitions, the Finals of the European Club Competitions and various clinics, as well as to form groups and hold the draw for the European Championships and other European competitions;
- Define the organisational structure;
- Appoint and dismiss the Secretary General;
- Consider and decide on the Secretary General's long-term strategic plan and the annual working plan;
- Determine the financial policy, approve the budget and financial reports as prepared by the Secretary General, and approve the audited accounts as prepared by the Treasurer and the auditors;
- Adopt, modify and repeal any other regulations of FIBA Europe.
- Appoint an external auditor;
- Change the location of the headquarters of FIBA Europe.
If, between the sessions of the General Assembly and the Board of FIBA Europe, an urgent situation arises that does not allow for the decision of one of its divisions to be implemented and/or requires an immediate decision, the Executive Committee is authorised to take a decision.
The Executive Committee shall consist of:
a) The President.
b) The three Vice-Presidents. The Vice-President having the most seniority in the Board of FIBA Europe shall replace the President if necessary.
c) The Treasurer.
d) The 4 (four) members appointed by the Board of FIBA Europe.
To take such a decision, the Executive Committee may consult with the members of the Board or the national federations by any means necessary. It shall, without fail, inform the Board of FIBA Europe of its decision in writing as soon as possible and, if necessary, the national federations.
European Board Members Term of Office 2014 – 2018
|The Board of FIBA Europe, term of office 2014-2018|