|20 February 2012|
Roanne Basket can seal their place in EuroChallenge Quarter-Finals with a victory at EWE Baskets Oldenburg on Tuesday.
The French club goes into the encounter at the top of Group I with three wins in four games while EWE Baskets are 2-2.
In the first meeting between the sides on January 17, Roanne prevailed 86-80.
That result marked the first defeat in the competition for EWE Baskets and Roanne got a big lift from Andre Barrett, who had 16 points and seven assists.
Barrett and Roanne have since parted ways.
Both sides are coming off losses on the domestic front.
Roanne fell to Gravelines-Dunkerque on the opening night of the Semaine des As, 64-55, while EWE Baskets slipped up at Walter Tigers Tübingen in Germany's BEKO BBL, 81-77.
Season So Far
• Roanne began their EuroChallenge campaign with an 82-77 defeat at BK Pardubice, but the French team has won eight of its nine games since. In the domestic Pro A, Roanne have had their problems, with the club electing to make a coaching change early on. Montenegrin Luka Pavicevic was installed as coach in the middle of November.
• EWE Baskets prevailed in their first seven games in the EuroChallenge but are now in danger of not moving into the next stage. Their best chance of moving into the last eight is to beat Roanne by more than six points to claim a goal differential advantage against the French team. Should they do so, EWE Baskets would still need to win against Ventspils in their next game to guarantee their spot in next phase of the competition.
The Hot Hand
• Adam Chubb, the 30-year-old center of EWE Baskets, is shooting 65% (52 of 80) inside the arc.
• John Holland has made 40.6% (13 of 32) shots from long range and 63.4% (59 of 93) overall for Roanne in the EuroChallenge.
• Richard Jackson's numbers have increased for Roanne since Pavicevic has started using his center more than 20 minutes per contest. In his last three EuroChallenge games, Jackson has averaged 11.7 points. Jackson had just three rebounds in the first meeting against EWE Baskets but eight in the last two games against Ventspils and ZZ Leiden.
• In a win over Fuenlabrada earlier this season, Rickey Paulding made six of seven shots from behind the arc for EWE Baskets but he is just two of 17 in the EuroChallenge since.
Ronald Burrell of EWE Baskets v Dylan Page of Roanne.
• Burrell is pouring in 12 points and corralling 5.7 rebounds. He made all three of his shots from long range in the first meeting with Roanne and had 25 points.
• Page has been a model of consistency for Roanne with averages of 13.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in the EuroChallenge. Just once has he failed to reach double figures in points in the competition this season.