EuroBasket 2007 qualifying is nearly complete, and there are several teams who are within a shout of taking the six places on offer for the final round.
The top teams from each group qualify directly to EuroBasket along with the two best second placed teams, determined according to:
- Win loss/percentage
- Goal average as stated in section D of the Official Basketball Rules (points for divided by points against)
The following is a breakdown of the possible scenarios in each group.
Poland has already secured first place in the group and a berth at EuroBasket 2007, but the race for second place is open between Ukraine, Bulgaria and Sweden
The following fixtures are due to take place on Saturday:
Sweden vs Bulgaria
Ukraine vs Poland
The following scenarios are possible.
- Sweden will finish in second place
if Sweden beat Bulgaria
- Ukraine will finish in second place
if Ukraine beat Poland and Bulgaria beat Sweden
- Bulgaria will finish in second place
if Bulgaria beat Sweden and Poland beat Ukraine
Group B is by far the most open of all the groups and each of the four teams has a shot of grabbing first place after Saturday's games which are:
Portugal vs Israel
Bosnia & Herzegovina vs FYROM
The following scenarios are all possible
- Portugal will finish in first place and Bosnia & Herzegovina will finish second
if Porgual beat Israel and Bosnia and Herzegovina beat FYROM by at least 5 points
- FYROM will finish in first place and Israel will finish second
if FYROM beat Bosnia & Herzegovina and Israel beat Portugal by a large margin
- FYROM will finish in first place and Portugal will finish second
if FYROM beat Bosnia & Herzegovina and Portugal beat Israel
- All teams will finish on 3-3 and goal average will decide the first two places
if Israel beat Portugal and Bosnia & Herzegovina beat FYROM. In this scenario, Bosnia & Herzegovina has the best chance to finish in first place due to their superior goal average after 5 games.
The following fixtures are due to take place in Group C
Czech Republic vs Russia
Hungary vs Belgium
The group is far clearer than the others as the game between Russia and Czech Republic will decide first and second place:
- Russia will finish first in the group and Czech Republic second
if Russia beat Czech Republic
- Czech Republic will finish first in the group and Russia second
if Czech Republic beat Russia.
Whoever finishes in second place in this group will have a good chance to qualify as one of the best second-placed teams.
Croatia have already wrapped up top spot in Group D and Latvia second.
The only question is whether Latvia finish with a 3-3 or 4-2 record based on whether or not they beat Denmark on Saturday. A 4-2 record will obviously increase their chance of qualifying as one of the two best second placed teams.